It’s been interesting to watch the firewall and IPS space over the years. First we had firewall vendors adding IPS features. Then we had IPS vendors adding firewalls features. Personally, I’ve always thought it made sense to use an IPS with firewall features because I’ve never seen a firewall with an IPS worth using. Now application aware firewalls have proven useful, it’s time for IPS vendors to add more application awareness. Hey look, I work for an IPS vendor 😉
IBM’s Security Network Protection XGS 5000 is a next generation intrusion prevention system, adding tons of features to IPS like web content, application and application action control, protocol analysis based intrusion prevention, URL filtering, Injection Logic Protection, Shell Code Heuristics, and virtual patch.
Marketing bullet points:
- Help stop threats from compromising unpatched vulnerabilities without sacrificing high-speed network performance.
- Help protect networks, servers, desktops, and business critical applications from malicious threats.
- Conserve network bandwidth and provide insight into what users are doing on the corporate network. It helps control user bandwidth consumption by limiting or eliminating access to nonbusiness critical applications.
- Help enforce compliance and internal corporate usage of nonbusiness critical applications such as social networking, peer to peer file transfers, instant messaging traffic, and streaming media.
- Provide an extensible security platform that can grow as threats evolve, help consolidate network protection technologies, and help reduce the cost of deploying and managing point solutions.
You can get lots of print literature here, but who wants to read when you can watch videos on YouTube.
IBM Security NextGen IPS Use Case Videos
- NextGen IPS Overview (8:15)
- Complying with GRC Mandates (4:46)
- Protecting Intellectual Property (6:19)
IBM Security NextGen IPS How to Videos
- Understanding NextGen IPS Terminology (3:37)
- Configuring IPS Policies (2:27)
- Configuring QRadar Integration (1:25)
- Identifying Network Usage (3:32)
- Configuring Specific URL Control (3:34)
- Configuring URL Category Control (2:36)
- Management Dashboard Overview (3:22)
- Configuring Web Application Control (3:03)
- Configuring User Authentication Control (4:02)