about a new version (0078FK) of the Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L Xbox360 DVD
drive found in newly manufactured (starting end august 06 anyway, maybe
earlier too) consoles (mostly found in Australia and UK atm, but soon
The drive has many changes to try to make FW hacking harder. Garyopa posted a great summary of all discoveries found so far about this new drive version:
There has been many changes done to the new Hitachi GDR-3120L – Version: 0078fk drive:
* 1: No “memdump” command works, totally new program needed
* 2: Chip type has been changed to a 39VF020, so new “flashsec” program needed
* 3: Black hard glue has been added covering all the chip pins and the controller pins.
* 4: External “debug” triggering into ModeB has been removed.
What does all mean:
* 1: The Team-X kit will no longer work on this drive.
* 2: Dumping the firmware by software is currently not possible
* 3: Wiring in a patching-on-the-fly “mod” would be very hard due to the “new black glue”
* 4: Removing the flash chip to externally be read will destory the drive due to the “new black glue”
What options are left to us:
* 1: Get more people working on this new drive, currently only in UK and Aussie.
* 2: Destory at one drive to be able to dump the firmware, using a external programmer.
* 3: Afterwards sitting down and re-writing all the programs: “memdump, firmcrypt, flashsec”.
* 4: If you can't wait, buy an older produced x360 console (Before Late July/Early Aug. dates).
That's all for now….
We are working on it….
Hopefully some poor soul will give us one personally…
So we can destory it and play with it for everyone else….